Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ode to John Denver

Last night Keith and I were hanging out. He was cooking, I was sewing, the kids were napping. We were randomly listening to music on his i-pod. Suddenly, Rocky Mountain High came on. For years I haven't been able to listen to a John Denver song without wanting to weep. I can't explain it. Except to say that everything about his music and voice take me back to my childhood. It's as if I can almost smell the snow, feel the breeze of the wind in my face on a hot summer day, or hear the sound of the frogs on the pond at night. Anyway, as the song played on I tried not to let Keith notice the tears in my eyes. The funny thing is Keith was doing the same. After that song was over Country Roads came on. Finally I fessed up to Keith that every time I hear John Denver I want to cry. He said the same thing. I think for both of us it not only reminds us of home, but of our parents. I think it is a Midwest thing as well. We can both remember our parents singing the songs. John has such a pure, sweet quality to his voice. Keith's dad even looks a little like John Denver. Although I feel like a city girl, every time I hear John Denver I am reminded that I am still a country girl at heart. His songs take me back to being six years old dancing with my Mom to Sunshine on My Shoulder. John, why did you have to go?

If you like John as much as I do, here is a link to one of my favorite songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaaR1Ay5P0&feature=fvw

No comments:

Post a Comment