Sunday, May 2, 2010

Two Weeks and Counting

My first sprint triathlon is two weeks from today. Wow, that is hard to believe. Although it seems like I have been training forever, it also seems like it just snuck up on me. I am very excited about the first race. It will be a great learning experience. I am hoping the water temperature will be warm enough that I don't need a wetsuit. Since I don't own one and haven't really even looked into renting one, I am especially hoping it will be warm enough. The swim is very short, only 400 meters which should only take about ten minutes at most. That is if I stay on course. Surly I could tolerate cold water for that short amount of time........we will see. Today was a very windy day and my long bike ride. Everything started out ok, other then it was taking me a long time to get very far. There would be big gusts of wind that came from every direction. It didn't matter which way I was riding, it always seemed like it was a head wind.

So, it isn't to hard to believe that I fell for the first time today on the bike. I was at my half way point at Cave Creek and 23rd avenue. I was stopping at a red light and unclipped my right foot. I was just about to put my foot down when a big gust of wind from the right pushed me left and I couldn't get my left foot unclipped. It was very slow motion, but I fell completely down on the ground with the bike on top of me...IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION. There were two Mexican men in a truck on my right and it scared the hell out of them. The driver jumped out of the car to see if I was ok. I was fine, but my pride was hurt a little. After I got up and got back on the bike the guy in a convertible on my left asked me if I was ok. I told him the wind blew me over and he laughed. We had a nice little conversation before the light turned green and we were on our way. I am sure everyone watching got a nice little laugh out of that one. I am just glad nobody was coming into the lane next to me as I fell out of the bike lane into the actual car lane to the left. Pretty scary when you think about it. Especially after Jenni told me a couple of stories of where people got hit on their bikes. Thanks Jenni! Anyway, all is well. I have a nice couple of bruises already from where I fell. Hopefully I got that out of the way.

Two weeks and counting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment